Coaches Code of Conduct
Participants in the game of Rugby League include players, parents, spectators, coaches, referees and officials.
Every participant should:
- Discourage all instances of unsportsmanlike behaviour, foul or illegal play, or acts of violence, both on and off the field.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person regardless of their gender, ability/disability, sexual orientation, cultural background or religion.
- Condemn the use of recreational and performance enhancing drugs and doping practices; their use endangers the health of players and is contrary to the concept of fair play.
Important – every person who attends a Rugby League match does so with the permission and license of the home club and/or league. Breaches of this Code of Conduct may result in penalties up to and including a fine, loss of team match points and suspension.
Coaches Code of Conduct
- Actively discourage foul play and/or unsportsmanlike behaviour by players.
- Seek to maximise the participation and enjoyment for all players regardless of ability; avoid the tendency to over-use a talented player; treat all players as equals, regardless of their talent.
- Show concern and caution towards all sick and injured players. Follow the advice of a physician and/or sports trainer to the letter when determining when an injured player is ready to recommence training or playing.
- Teach players that an honest effort and competing to the best of their ability is as important as victory.
- Maintain appropriate, professional relationships with players at all times.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the rules of the game and keep abreast of current coaching methods; maintain or improve your current accreditation level.
- Always consider the health, safety and welfare of the players.
- Teach young players to realise that there is a big gap between their play and the professional game; do not coach them as if they are professionals.
- Ensure that your coaching reflects the level of the competition being played; do not be a “winner-at-all-costs” coach.
- As a coach, conduct yourself at all times in a manner, and in all situations, leadership, respect for the game of Rugby League and respect for all those that are involved in the game – the players, officials, the fans, the parents, the referees and the media.
Click on the icon below to download a full copy of the code of conduct.